WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
During The Dark ages the Isle of Dogs was called Stepney Marsh and the 13th century was focused mainly on providing support for pastures, meadows as well as cornfields of the time. The contemporary name Isle of Dogs is believed to have originated from Royal Kenneds found in this area (type of dog).
Londons Port was thriving with action, international trade was booming and Docklands of London became the focal point of departure for various merchant journeys. For instance in 1620 the Mayflower was sent to sail from Rothithithe to America.
These Docks were one of the most used ports in the world in 1800. The name Chanary Wharf itself came about from the prosperous fruit trade with the Chanary Islands. The great strecth of docks from St Katharine's by the Tower of London past Surrey Commercial docks, through the East and West Indies, these docks grew and developed over the period of approximately 200 years.